I’ve been kindly nominated for the Liebster Award by 4 fellow bloggers: maryangela Starrelizabeth writingforjonny and weegiemidget . Thank you for the nominations guys.
Part 1: The Liebster Award
What’s The Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is taken from the German word for favourite, and it’s a tool to help generate more interest in blogs, and for bloggers to interact and engage with each other.
Bloggers who have 200 or less followers are nominated by fellow new bloggers, to answer questions about themselves and their blogs; and nominate other bloggers to do the same.
What Do Nominees Have to Do?
Here are the rules for nominees:
Part 2: Answers To The Questions I’ve Been Asked
Questions Asked By MaryAngela
1. When did you start your blog and why? (This also answers question 2 of starrelizabeth‘s questions.
I originally started Silent D And Me in May 2015. I decided to finally speak out about mental health after losing a relative to suicide. I deleted my blog in September 2015, and restarted it again in December 2015, following my friend’s suicide attempt.
2. What is your blog about?
My blog is mainly about my struggle with Clinical Depression (Silent D). I also write about all mental health issues, to raise awareness and reduce stigma.
3. What is your ideal morning routine?
I’m not really a morning person, so I have to ease myself into it. I like to start the day with several cups of tea and as little stress and noise as possible (I have 2 sons, so this isn’t always a possibility). I spend the majority of my day in my kitchen; drinking tea, listening to audiobooks and motivational talks on YouTube, baking and writing.
4.What did you do with your first salary?
I don’t remember exactly what I spent my first salary on, but I did buy CDs, Clothes and videos (showing my age here!) every week.
5. Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
Pedantic answer: in the mirror.
Sensible answer: I don’t live by a set blueprint, because life always seems to have different plans for me. I do have a list of things I want to have accomplished by the time I’m 40 though (which is only 8 years away! Eeek!) I don’t currently drive, so that’s first on my list. I want to have my house finished, as I’m currently living in a house full of half-finished jobs. I want to have travelled abroad at least once, as I’ve only been abroad once in my life. I want to get at least one of my many half finished writing projects completed, and published or commissioned. I also want to complete a university degree. My children will be adults then, and I hope they’re happy, settled and on their way to achieving their dreams.
6.What is your favourite song and why?
Oooft! This is a tough one. I don’t have just one favourite song (I know, I know EVERYONE says that). But it’s true. We all have different songs that conjure up different memories. To whittle it down, I’d say my favourite is Miss You by The Rolling Stones. It grabbed me the first time I heard it, and it still grabs me. It also has some pretty cool cover versions too.
7. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
I’d be a mind reader. I have a habit of assuming people don’t like me. If I could read their minds, I’d know for sure. Also, mind reading would help me to identify the genuine people from the fakes out there.
8. What is your favourite flavour of ice cream?
Chocolate. Always has been, always will be. Yummy.
9. What is your favourite show/movie and why?
Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo & Juliet is my favourite movie. It’s clever how Baz Luhrmann fused a classic masterpiece with a modern backdrop, all the while not losing the oldie worldie dialogue. It shouldn’t work, but it does. The soundtrack is brilliant too.
10. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
To bring back deceased relatives and friends, and throw a big reunion party.
11. What are your hobbies?
Blogging (obviously haha!), reading, cooking, baking, watching films, walking, spending time with my husband and children, visiting museums and art galleries, genealogy, socialising with friends, talking for hours on the phone with my sister, about a myriad of subjects and psychology.
Questions Asked By StarrElizabeth
1.What’s the song that’s been stuck on repeat in your head lately?
Waiting For A Train by Flash and The Pan. I have no idea where it came from, but I’m really enjoying it.
2. Why did you start your blog?
See question 1 of Mary Angela’s questions.
3. What’s the best TV show or movie you’ve seen lately?
I watched The Help recently, and loved it. *Spoiler Alert* I love films where horrible people get what they deserve.
4. Who’s your biggest inspiration?
Blog-wise, it has to be Lisa Lynch of alrighttit.
In my personal life, my husband, children, Dad and sister are my inspirations.
5. Where’s one place you want to travel to before you die?
6. What’s your dream job?
I’d like to write for a living. Then I can work in my pyjamas. Haha!
7. If you could do anything for the next 24 hours, what would you do?
Sit on a secluded white beach, somewhere exotic; reading a good book and drinking cocktails.
8. What’s the goal for your blog?
I’m in a kind of write-and-see phase at the moment. I’m surprised that anyone’s reading it, to be honest. I’m just going to let fate decide where me and my blog should go.
9. If you were a cartoon character, what would be your signature outfit?
I’d model myself on Jane Lane from the 90s cartoon, Daria. She was really cool.
10. Do you have any pets? What are their names? When did you get them?
I have a cat named Figaro. We got her in August 2011, and I’m amazed she hasn’t run away yet.
11. How has your week been?
Last week was a mixed one.My washing machine broke last Tuesday, and I had to buy a new one. I started a new job where I work (sounds like a positive, but it’s really not.) I received 4 nominations for the Liebster Award (yay), and I had a really restful weekend. This week has started off quite busy, catching up on all the laundry I couldn’t do, or hand washed really badly last week. I’m hoping for a productive week this week.
Questions Asked By Writingforjonny
1. If you could go back and teach your childhood self one thing, what would it be?
Perseverance. I gave up too easily on things, which is why I left school with virtually no qualifications.
2. What is your guilty pleasure?
I like to put my earphones in, block the world out and listen to music. I’m very anti-social in this respect.
3. Who is/has been your biggest inspiration?
My husband and children. They’re the reason I get up in the morning and face another day.
4. What is the favourite thing about yourself? (Get those feel good feelings going)
Hmmmm… I’m one of those people who sees the beauty in others, but not in myself. I suppose I like that I’m not vain.
5. Funniest thing ever witnessed?
I was travelling to work by bus, one snowy morning. The bus was packed with teenagers, on their way to school. Around 10 minutes into my journey, a small group of teenagers congregated around one of the bus windows. They opened the window, and one of the teenagers threw a snowball (they must’ve brought it on the bus with them) out of the moving bus window; and hit a guy square in the face. Yeah you guessed it, I have a sadistic sense of humour!
6. What is your main vice?
7. If you could go back in time and live in any era, which would it be?
The 1960s. I love the music and the fashion from that era.
8. What has been your greatest achievement?
My children are my greatest achievement. Being a parent is the toughest job ever.
9. If you could create your own TV show, what would it be called and what would it be about?
I’m currently writing a sitcom. I don’t yet have a title for it, but it’s about a group of women who meet each other at an evening class.
10. What is your biggest wish for the future?
To be doing a job I love.
11. If you could change one thing about the world we live in today, what would it be?
The next generation of adults wanting to be known for doing bad things to other people. They have a kind of anti-hero mentality, where they view villains as cool, and the super heroes as lame. Let’s just go back to seeing The Joker for what he really is – a massive dobber.
Questions Asked By Weegiemidget
1. How did you choose a name for your blog?
I wrote down a list of names, and chose the one I could imagine myself saying on a regular basis.
2. How did you decide on the subject of your blog?
I have clinical depression, and I’ve lost a relative to suicide. I wanted to start a blog to raise awareness of mental health issues, and also have an outlet for my feelings and experiences.
3. If you could choose a film to be reviewed in this blog, which one would you choose?
Control. It’s the story of Ian Curtis, who was the lead singer of the Manchester band, Joy Division.
Because it isn’t a film I see being reviewed a lot. Also, Ian Curtis’ untimely death by suicide is something that isn’t discussed by the mainstream media very often.
5. Which of my film reviews would you pass onto a friend if you wanted them to see a film with you?
Terms of Endearment.
Because my friends don’t like being ambushed by a weepie. They like to go into a film, with the prior knowledge that they’re going to be an emotional wreck when the credits roll.
7. Which of my TV reviews would you pass onto a friend if you wanted them to watch a programme with you?
The Grand Designs review you wrote.
So me and my friend could play a Grand Designs drinking game. For example, if one of the couple has a trendy name, we have a drink. If the wife/fiancee/girlfriend/mid-life crisis mentions spending all her husband’s/fiance’s/boyfriend’s/father replacement’s life savings/pension on their “rural project” we have a drink. If the couple are moving from St John’s Wood, we have a drink. Judging by your very accurate (and very funny) review, we’ll be pissed by the first ad break. Haha!
9. If you could move anywhere as an expat, where would you move?
America. Although, we could just move to Cornwall and be considered expats. (Cornwall is a world away from our hometown of Manchester, that’s why I love it!)
It was a toss-up between America and Australia. But I’m not that great with snakes or alligators in swimming pools, so America for the win. I think mine and my husband’s Celtic appearances (we’re both of Irish descent) would be welcomed by our American neighbours. In Australia, we’d just be another set of “Flamin’ Poms.”
11. What 3 tips would you give to a first time blogger?
- Don’t over-think it.
- Use every social media platform to promote your blog
- Be yourself on your blog, and don’t self edit too much.
11 Random Facts About Myself
1.My maiden name is Caroline Murphy, which is the same name as Benjamin’s birth mother in the film, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
2. I had both sets of back teeth removed when I was a child, and a third set grew in their place.
3. As well as the books I’m currently writing, I’m also writing a script for a sitcom.
4. As a teenager, I was an Army Cadet. I tried to join the Army when I was 16, but failed the medical exam due to having mild asthma.
5. I left school with only 2 GCSEs – a C grade in English Language and a C grade in Geography.
6. Despite my poor academic performance, I have held some very well paid jobs. I used to be a salesperson, and I’ve sold software products, mortgages, escrow services and employment law services.
7. A teacher at my primary school said I had a flair for writing, when I was 6 years old. I was really annoyed with this, because I wanted to be a painter and live by the sea.
8. I got an E grade in GCSE Art.
9. I was very confident (translation: a pretentious little brat) in primary school, and played the lead in my year 6 performance of Aladdin.
10. I attended a drama school in the evenings, when I was 10 years old. I didn’t last long, as I found the other students’ larger than life personalities intimidating.
11. I’m a major procrastinator. I never finish what I start. Except eating cake. I always finish that.
Part 3: My Nominated Blogs
My Nominations For The Liebster Award
My Questions For The Nominees
1. Why did you start your blog?
2. What’s your happiest memory?
3. What would be the title of your autobiography?
4. Who would play you, in a film of your life story?
5. Which is your favourite season?
6. If the world was going to end tomorrow, how would you spend your last day?
7. If you had to pick a new first name for yourself, what would it be?
8. Who would be your ultimate dinner party guests?
9. If you could give your younger self a piece of advice, what would it be?
10. What’s your favourite quote?
11. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Thank you again to the people who nominated me for the Liebster Award, and congratulations to the fabulous bloggers I’ve nominated.